Christopher's Beef and Guinness Stew
Pair with Villa Bellangelo - Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Meritage
Served for Seneca Lake Wine Trail's 2015 Chocolate & Wine Event
Prep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours Yield: 4 Large Servings
- 2.5 Pounds of Chuck Roast, Cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cups flour, for coating beef cubes
- 1 pound baby carrots, chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into quarters
- Salt to Taste
- 2 Sweet Onions, Chopped
- 5 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 (14.9 ounce) can dark beer (such as Guinness®)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock, or as needed to cover
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 ounces of dark chocolate
- Blend flour with one teaspoon of salt, and season beef chuck cubes generously. Turn heat to high under skillet and sear beef pieces in the hot fat on both sides until browned.
- Deglaze pan with Guinness and add chopped garlic. When pan is deglazed, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add all components to crock pot: beef, deglazed pan contents, onions, carrots, potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, brown sugar, beef stock, chocolate, and tomato paste.
- Let cook on high for 4.5 hours, or on low for 9 hours.
- Strain excess broth from crock pot, place into sauce pan and let reduce to a rich gravy, approximately 30 minutes.
- Return reduction to crock pot, stir, and serve.