Recipe - Fried Goat Cheese Salad
Fried Goat Cheese SaladPair with Villa Bellangelo - Semi Dry Riesling
Prep: 5 min. Cook: 5 min. Yield: 4 Servings
Here in the Finger Lakes, the City of Geneva is known as the "Lake Trout Capital of the World." Our 2011 Dry Riesling will serve as a magnificent complement to this locally caught fresh fish. Enjoy!
- 3 handfuls mixed green lettuce
- 10 strawberries, tops removed and sliced
- 1 small log of goat cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup freshly made bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Finger Lakes Grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup olive
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce and strawberries. Set aside.
- Cut a small log of goat cheese into small pieces, about the size of 2 tbsp. Roll the piece of goat cheese into a ball in your hands and then gently mold into a disk shape. Repeat this process for the remaining goat cheese and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and set aside.
- Place the bread crumbs into another small bowl.
- Dip each of the pieces of goat cheese in the egg wash and then into the bread crumb mixture. Using your fingers, make sure the bread crumbs are firmly into the goat cheese and set aside.
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. Lightly fry the goat cheese rounds for about a minute on each side until they are golden brown and are just slightly melted on either side but still retain their shape. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Top the salad with the fries goat cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic, honey, salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
Originally published at http://whatsgabycooking.com/fried-goat-cheese-salad/