RESTAURANT WINE PROGRAM
Inspired by the classic European model of local wineries providing bulk red and white table wines to local restaurants for sale by the glass or carafe, or included as part of a fixed price menu, Bellangelo is pleased to announce our new Restaurant Wine Program.
The Restaurant Wine Program will be focused on allowing restaurants to offer quality house wine by the glass at an economy price with a great rate of return for the restaurant. This is accomplished in two ways:
1) reduce waste from opened bottles by selling the wine in 3L Astropaq pouches, and
2) providing extremely competitive case pricing for the white and red blend.
Bellangelo wants consumers in Western New York and throughout New York State to begin the habit of drinking high quality, dry and semi-dry, locally produced Finger Lakes wines at meals. We are dedicated to making this project a worthwhile investment for local restaurants in order to introduce your clientele to Finger Lakes wines, and help you support your “go local” initiatives.
WINE STYLES & COMPOSITION
White Table Wine
The standard white table wine will generally be a blend of hybrid and vinifera grapes, crafted in a dry or off-dry style for better food pairing, with a strong emphasis on high quality. The target would be to provide restaurants wine by the glass for $4-5 or more. These can easily be stored in any standard refrigerator so they may be kept fresh and cold for the customer.
Red Table Wine
The standard red table wine will generally be a blend of hybrid and vinifera red grapes, crafted in a dry or off-dry style and lightly oaked, with a strong emphasis on high quality. The target would be to provide restaurants wine by the glass for $5 or more. Bellangelo now offers a custom wine box, locally crafted by Amish craftsmen in the Finger Lakes, designed to make by the glass service convenient and fashionable. Limited customization is possible.
Rose Table Wine
The standard rose table wine will generally be a blend of hybrid and vinifera red grapes, crafted in a dry or off-dry style, with bright fruit, and an emphasis on high quality. The target would be to provide restaurants wine by the glass for $4-5 or more.
The 3 L Astropaq consists of 3 pouches per case, with each pouch containing approximately 101 ounces of wine. With standard “by the glass” pours of 5 ounces and permitting for 6 ounces of loss due to sampling, spillage, etc., the average 3L Astropaq should yield 19 “by the glass” servings. At $5 per glass, each pouch has the potential to yield gross sales of at least $95.00, and each case has the potential to yield gross sales of at least $285.00. White table wine sells for $60.00 per case and red table wine sells for $69.00 per case.
Each poured glass of our sample white table wine, with a control of approximately 19 “by the glass” servings per pouch, would yield a per glass cost to the restaurant of around $1.05 per serving. The cost of an entire 3 Liter pouch is recouped after only 4 pours. The potential to offer specials, discounts, happy hours, etc. are immense because of the impressive margin, and consideration that there will be absolutely no spoilage or spillage once the container is open. The best part is, you’ll be serving local wines, branded to your restaurant, and appealing to the growing movement of local preference.
BY THE GLASS WINE SERVICE
750 ml Glass Bottles
- There is a romance to having a bottle opened or poured table-side by wait staff.
- Visually see the label
- Customers do not generally see the bottle or label in by the glass purchases
- Restaurant loses at least one glass per case of potential sales. (given the assumption of a 5 oz pour, a restaurant loses the opportunity of serving 4.332 ounces of wine per case)
- Unknown variables such as cork taint and spoilage from unused wines or wines left exposed to too much oxygen inevitably lead to further loss. These flaws are generally only detected by customers in your restaurant.
- Glass bottles take up a considerable amount of extra space in storage and in refuse. The added weight of glass bottle cases causes further strain on staff that must move unopened wine, and dispose of bulky empty bottles.
- Customers will be more apt to simply share a single bottle, and not enjoy any additional glasses of wine.
3 Liter Astropaq
- Freshness of opened packages - Astropaq keeps wine fresh for at least one month.
- Does not require additional tools, inert gasses, or staff time to keep wine fresh.
- No “bottom of the bottle” stale wine
- No cork taint
- Easy Storage
- Environmentally Friendly - easy disposal since pouch flattens as it empties
- Your restaurant acquires its own local “house wine”
- Wine service via carafe for “house wine” yields an element of freshness and style
- 3 L pouch may be bulky for some wait-staff
- Customer base must trust house wine recommendation
Multi-Glass Service Options for Table Service
Bottles offer customers a single option for table service at a single price. Your restaurant will have the ability to test and provide your customer base with additional options via carafe service. To examine common carafe sizes and its equivalent measure in ounces, see below:
375 ml = 12.6803 ounces
500 ml = 16.907 ounces
750 ml = 25.3605 ounces
1L = 33.814 ounces
Pours in carafe’s can also maximize sales. In a challenging economic environment, offering a carafe based service of 375 ml for $9.00, or 500 ml carafe for $12.00, will enable guests to feel a great sense of value, and potentially purchase more wine.
Restaurant Wine Program - Bottle Equivalent
Although “by the glass” sales may prove more popular for these wines, many consumers will request bottle service. Wine packaged in the 3L pouch will be comparable to a wine offered under the Bellangelo label in our Bella Fresca and Bella Rossa blend. We anticipate unveiling a Bella Rose in the near future. These wines are available to retailers and restaurants have the option to serve blends in the restaurant wine program under their Bellangelo names as well.
Not only is the 3 L Astropaq packaging environmentally friendly, the handcrafted 3L service box serves to live again as it can easily be converted into a birdhouse for the Eastern Bluebird, the state bird of New York. Each box comes with conversion instructions.